Summer is finally here- hoorah! But if you're pregnant, you might not be feeling the same exhilaration as the rest of us- understandably so! Being pregnant in hot weather isn't much fun (the end result is worth it, we promise!) so we thought we'd put together some quick tips for staying cool. Please share with any pregnant friends who might need it!
Trust us, cold water is your friend!
- Always keep a jug of water in the fridge so it's ready to go - and fill it up before you go to bed each night.
- Fill bottles with cold water and freeze them. Then at bedtime, wrap a towel around it and place it in your bed- a cold water bottle!
- Run cold water over your hands and wrists for a quick cool down.
- Wet a bamboo washcloth and place it in a freezer bag. When frozen, place it at the back of your neck. Bliss!
- Sit with your feet in a bowl of cold water- or hi-jack the kids' paddling pool if you need to!
- Fill a small spray bottle with cold water to spritz wherever you need to.
- Place a bowl of cold water and ice next to your bed as you sleep. If you wake up hot, stick your feet in the bowl for a moment or two. Trust us, you'll thank us for this one!
- Soak some socks in water, freeze them and then wear them. Simple, but effective!
- Wet a towel and freeze it. Then use it as a cooling cover while you sleep.
We don't air conditioning in the UK as standard, so it can get really hot inside offices and homes. Try these tips:
- Use a mini fan to cool down on the go- especially effective on the back of the neck.
- Freeze water in bottles and place them behind of your desk fan. Instant make-shift air-con!
- Open the windows as much as you can, so you can make the most of any breeze you might be lucky enough to have.
- Close the the blinds or curtains in the house to prevent thee sunlight from warming everything up.
- If you have a loft hatch, open it up during the day so the warm air travel up and out of the rooms you use.
Take care of yourself
Being pregnant is hard work- but being pregnant in hot weather (especially when we're not really used to it!) can be really REALLY hard work. These tips are a reminder for some self care:
- Stay hydrated. Remember all that cold water? Drink some too!
- Pace yourself. if it doesn't need to be done today, then leave it.
- This probably doesn't need to be said, but we will anyway: Wear loose clothing.
- Wear cotton underwear- it's more breathable.
- Avoid being outside when the sun is at it's hottest- usually 11am to 3pm
- Wear a hat.
- Wear sunscreen.
- Eat lots of ice lollies.
- Take a lukewarm bath or shower- not cold! When you're pregnant the body takes longer to adjust to changes in temperature, so take the heat down slowly.
- Go for a swim, if you're able. Or- again- hi-jack the paddling pool!
- Store body creams and moisturisers in the fridge.
- Switch your duvet for just a sheet to help you sleep better.
- Place a bamboo cloth soaked with cold water on your bump.
- Avoid spicy foods and opt for cold meals and hydration foods such as fruit and cucumber.
- Aromatherapy candles- Orange and Neroli fragrances are known to relax and cool down.
- Peppermint/ tea tree spray for the wrists and back of the neck can also help to cool you down of you feel super hot or dizzy suddenly.
Do let us know in the comments you have any tips to add- and don't forget to share, share, share!